Bipolar disorder may be one of the most misunderstood mental illnesses among the general population. Inaccurate portrayals in pop culture have also influenced the misperceptions people have about those with bipolar disorder. If you or a loved one need help, you may benefit from treatment by a bipolar disorder therapist near Berlin, NJ. You can find the help you’re looking for by reaching out to Harmony Bay Wellness treatment center.
How Does Bipolar Disorder Develop?
Bipolar disorder, previously referred to as manic-depressive disorder, causes those with the condition to experience extreme emotional highs or lows. You may cycle through periods of extreme happiness to depressive ones full of non-stop dark thoughts. The severity of these episodes may affect your life in negative ways.
Your high periods may bring bouts of extreme energy. You may go without sleep and come up with irrational ideas that may seem unfeasible to others. Your low episodes may have you not wanting to leave the house and feeling incapable of completing basic tasks.
The exact cause of bipolar disorder is unknown. Those who have family members who have mental illness may be at risk of developing it at some point. Environmental factors and experiences in life may also contribute to the evolution of a bipolar disorder.
The length of the episodes may vary. Those with a more severe form of bipolar disorder may have them last up to seven days. If you’ve experienced extended periods of extreme emotion in either direction, consider seeking treatment from a bipolar disorder therapist near Berlin, NJ.
What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?
The symptoms will differ depending on if you are going through a high or low episode. If you are in a manic state, you may exhibit the following behaviors:
- Taking unnecessary risks with your life
- Talking fast in conversations
- Feeling like you are on top of the world regardless of the situation
- Trying to take on multiple tasks at once, even if it seems unworkable
- Having your mind constantly racing
- Go through bouts of insomnia
You may feel the following symptoms when in a depressive state:
- You find it hard to move around like you’re walking underwater
- It’s hard to find joy in your favorite activities
- You forget important things
- Thoughts of self-harm or suicide dominate your thoughts
Treatment from a bipolar disorder therapist could give you the tools to navigate these episodes safely.
What Treatment Is Available for Bipolar Disorder?
If you feel you can no longer manage things on your own, it may be time to seek treatment at a facility. Harmony Bay Wellness provides patients with access to treatment from bipolar disorder psychiatrists and therapists near Berlin, NJ.
Besides psychotherapy sessions, you may find relief from your bipolar disorder symptoms through medical management treatment. Bipolar Disorder psychiatry provides medication to relieve persistent symptoms in conjunction with therapy. The bipolar disorder psychiatrist will work closely with therapists to manage symptoms and give patients the life they deserve.
What Are the Next Steps for Getting Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
Harmony Bay Wellness works hard to address the specific needs of each patient. We provide a higher level of care through our diverse treatment programs.
- Telehealth services: One of the best ways to get the treatment you need is remotely or virtually through our secure telehealth services utilizing the latest video-conferencing technology.
- Integrated wellness services: Our holistic therapies address an individual’s needs in their body, mind, and soul, giving them a balanced and more complete form of mental health treatment.
- Intensive outpatient treatment: IOP is designed for individuals who know they need treatment but can’t make lengthy time commitments due to work, school, or family obligations. It delivers the same high-quality treatment but in a condensed format built around the individual’s schedule.
- Individual therapy services: Here, individuals work one-on-one with a counselor or therapist.
- Group therapy services: For some, sharing their experiences with others who have gone through or are going through similar issues is key to helping them heal.