Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a type of mental health disorder involving compulsive behaviors that are difficult to control. Men and women can find OCD medication and talk therapy to control symptoms and improve their quality of life effectively. Our team at Harmony Bay Wellness offers complete OCD therapy near Collinswood, NJ, to provide the best outcome possible.
Comprehensive OCD Therapy Is Available
OCD is a complex mental health disorder with numerous potential types. Working with an OCD psychiatrist, you’ll learn more about what’s happening to you and why. Most often, treatment begins with OCD medication. These medications ease symptoms and help improve mental clarity. Medication is rarely enough to improve all life complications, though. That’s where OCD therapy occurs.
How Does Cognitive Behavioral Disorder in OCD Psychiatry Help?
A big part of success in overcoming OCD is learning to control thoughts. With OCD psychiatry, that’s the foundation of change you’ll see. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is one of the therapy options available to help with this.
CBT helps people cope with symptoms but also enables the change of problematic behaviors and thoughts. The belief is that those with OCD can control more of their behaviors when they control their negative thought patterns. Incorrect thought patterns typically lead to poor behaviors. Yet, those with OCD don’t lack the skills to change thoughts easily. With CBT, you’ll learn this skill.
Which CBT Techniques Are Helpful in OCD Therapy?
Several CBT techniques exist, each one designed to help differently. Your OCD psychiatrist may recommend the use of several specific techniques that can help with OCD, including:
- In Vivo Exposure: This is a specific type of CBT technique in which actual exposure occurs. During these experiences, a person will be exposed for short periods, gradually increasing to their feared object or situation. This is done with anything that causes anxiety or distress.
- Imaginal Exposure: Some people are not initially ready for actual exposure. They may benefit from mentally visualizing the feared object or situation as a starting point. This allows them to remain in a very safe place while they work through the emotions related to that experience.
- Ritual Prevention: Another key component of CBT used in OCD psychiatry is ritual prevention. For those who have compulsive ritual behaviors, this can prove to be a critical tool. It is simply learning how to avoid ritualistic behavior by controlling negative thoughts.
Every type of therapy is done with the support of an OCD therapist. They guide you, support you, and ensure you remain safe throughout the process. This can be empowering to you. That’s because it allows you to regain control over the experiences and thought patterns that typically cause you distress.
How Our OCD Therapy Can Help You
Embracing OCD psychiatry is beneficial to anyone with this condition. At Harmony Bay Wellness, you’ll work closely with an OCD therapist capable of helping you to explore treatment options. This may include CBT. In every case, the goal is to help you to see and feel a change.
Our comprehensive OCD therapy is designed to give you the guidance you need to manage the specific types of rituals or fears you have. Take a closer look at some of the therapies we offer, such as:
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- Integrative wellness services
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Family therapy
- TMS therapy
Treatment Is Available at Harmony Bay Wellness
OCD therapy near Collinswood, NJ, is available to you. That includes comprehensive OCD psychiatry services with medication and talk therapy. It’s time to gain control and live a confident, positive life. Our team at Harmony Bay Wellness can help you make that happen. To learn more, call 855.765.6399 or connect with us online today.