Naltrexone (Revia) is a medication that can be prescribed to individuals with Opiate Use Disorder (OUD) or Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD). Naltrexone is available as an oral medication and as an extended-release injectable medication (Vivitrol). Naltrexone oral, when taken daily in conjunction with counseling and behavioral therapy, can greatly reduce relapse and improve sustained recovery.
HOW DOES NALTREXONE ASSISTED TREATMENT WORK?
For individuals with Opiate Use Disorder:
- Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist. Naltrexone assisted treatment blocks the effects of opiates when used therefore reducing cravings and desire to use.
For individuals with Alcohol Use Disorder:
- Naltrexone works on the pleasure center in the brain and acts to reduce cravings for alcohol by uncoupling the pleasure or reward one’s brain receives with alcohol consumption. Naltrexone also suppresses the euphoria and pleasurable sensations of alcohol when consumed, which makes continued use less desirable.
HOW DO I KNOW IF NALTREXONE IS RIGHT FOR ME?
At Harmony Bay Wellness, we evaluate each individual by completing a variety of evaluations and assessments to determine the best treatment options available. Naltrexone must be prescribed and monitored by an appropriate medical professional. Prior to initiating treatment with Naltrexone at Harmony Bay Wellness, you will be asked to complete some or all of the following:
- Psychiatric evaluation and drug or alcohol assessment
- Urine drug screen: Must be opioid-free for 7-10 days prior to starting Naltrexone due to risk of precipitated withdrawal
- Blood Work: Naltrexone is not advised for pregnant women or persons with significant liver function issues
To learn more about Naltrexone and other medication assisted treatments, contact Harmony Bay Wellness today.
WHAT OTHER THERAPEUTIC SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE AT HARMONY BAY WELLNESS?
Located in southern New Jersey, Harmony Bay Wellness offers individualized Naltrexone assisted treatment that brings you back to your inner spirit, a healthier mindset and physical wellness. Along with medication assisted treatment in NJ, we also offer:
- Telehealth services
- Medication management in NJ
- NJ psychiatric evaluations
- Mental health therapy services for various conditions
Find out what sets Harmony Bay Wellness apart from other mental health facilities. Call Harmony Bay Wellness at 855.765.6399.