Aromatherapy is the use of plants or other natural extracts to promote health, healing and well-being (Healthline, 2018). Aromatherapy has been around for many years and used in China, Egypt and India for mental, spiritual and physical health. Within recent years, there has been an increased interest and use of aromatherapy in the United States. Aromatherapy can be utilized in many ways including the use of inhalers, diffusers, oils, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, and steamers. Aromatherapy can provide optimal benefits when applied directly to the skin or diffused into the air.
There are seven basic smells and aromas that promote health and wellness.
- Fragrance: can include florals and perfumes
- Sweet: includes chocolate, caramel, and vanilla aromas
- Fruity: non-citrus fruits can include apples, bananas, and peach scents
- Mint: can consist of peppermint and eucalyptus aromas
- Citrus: consists of lemon, orange and lime scents
- Wood: wood scents may include pine or grass
- Toasted: toasted scents can include popcorn, peanut butter, and almond
Learn more about New Jersey therapy programs to promote wellness.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AN AROMATHERAPY PROGRAM?
Aromatherapy has many beneficial properties and effects including decreasing stress and anxiety, improving sleep, and increasing energy. Aromatherapy may also aid in managing pain, headaches, and digestion. The benefits of an aromatherapy program in NJ vary depending on the type of aroma or scent.
- Rosemary: assists in stress relief
- Lavender: can assist with falling asleep and insomnia
- Rose: decreases muscle tension
- Orange: can decrease feelings of depression and sadness
- Vanilla: decreases feelings of depression and alleviate anxiety and stress
- Chamomile: can decrease feelings of depression and reduce nervousness
HOW IS AROMATHERAPY INCORPORATED AT HARMONY BAY WELLNESS?
If you or your loved one is interested in incorporating aromatherapy into your wellness plan, please call Harmony Bay Wellness! Harmony Bay wellness utilizes an individualized and holistic approach. Aromatherapy may be used during individual or group therapy programs in NJ. Individual and group therapy sessions may use aromatherapy programs, through the use of diffusers, essential oils or lotions, as an additional tool to decrease psychological or physical symptoms and increase relaxation and comfort.
WHAT OTHER THERAPEUTIC SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE AT HARMONY BAY WELLNESS?
Harmony Bay Wellness offers individualized mental health treatment in New Jersey that brings you back to your inner spirit, a healthier mindset and physical wellness. Along with aromatherapy, we also offer:
- Telehealth services
- Medication-assisted treatment
- NJ psychiatric evaluations
- Mental health therapy services for various conditions
Find out what sets Harmony Bay Wellness apart from other mental health facilities. Call Harmony Bay Wellness at 855.765.6399.