Almost everyone in life will experience a sad or unpleasant experience. When this happens, many people are able to process the events, cope, and move forward with their lives. However, for an estimated 30% of veterans and 5% of all adults who struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder, moving on isn’t so easy. PTSD makes it almost impossible to live a normal, healthy life. That’s why PTSD therapy in South Jersey like Harmony Bay Wellness is crucial. If you or your loved one is struggling with PTSD, we understand what you’re going through. Learn how clients can finally find relief from their symptoms and begin turning a corner in their recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions About PTSD
How Does a Person Develop PTSD?
For years, society referred to the disorder as “shell shock” in those returning home from war or other combat. When discussing PTSD, it was only in terms of war. Today, we know that the disorder isn’t limited to combat. Almost anyone could find themselves in need of a PTSD treatment center should they experience or have someone recount details of a traumatic event. In fact, an estimated one in 11 people receives a diagnosis of PTSD within their lifetime.
PTSD often develops after someone experiences or witnesses a traumatic event. While the cause is different for everyone, common reasons include:
- War or combat
- Physical attack
- Severe accident
- Natural disaster
- The death of a family member or loved one
It’s important to understand that not every traumatic event affects individuals the same. What one person might walk away from unfazed, another might begin struggling with PTSD.
What Are Common PTSD Symptoms?
There are several indicators that an individual is in need of PTSD therapy. These symptoms tend to fall within one of four different categories.
- Reactive: These symptoms have the individual showing outward physical reactions. This can include angry outbursts, dangerous or destructive behaviors, and lacking the ability to sleep or stay focused.
- Avoidance: A person might try to avoid anything that could remind them of the event. This can include avoiding people, places, noises, sounds, and smells that could trigger a memory. They could also avoid discussing the event as well.
- Negativity: Those in need of a PTSD treatment center could experience continuous negative and distorted thoughts or emotions. These can include feelings of shame, guilt, anger, and fear.
- Intrusive thoughts: While someone might try to avoid remembering the event, they can experience intrusive, and sometimes debilitating, thoughts, and memories. This can include flashbacks, memories, and dreams.
If you or a loved one is experiencing any of the above symptoms and finding it impossible to live a healthy life, it’s time to find a PTSD treatment center.
What’s Involved in a PTSD Therapy?
Achieving stability doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time and individualized mental health treatment programs backed by strong clinical support. Our mental health professionals combine compassion with evidence-based mental health therapies to promote lasting healing.
During our PTSD therapy, medication-assisted treatment (MAT) can also supplement talk therapy approaches. When necessary, our professionals responsibly administer medications to enhance treatment outcomes. However, it’s important to note that MAT by itself will not lead to long-term stability. Psychotherapy approaches and life skills development are equally instrumental in igniting lasting change.
What Are My Next Steps for Getting PTSD Help?
When you’re looking for the best PTSD treatment New Jersey provides, look no further than Harmony Bay Wellness. Our professionals are dedicated to not only helping all clients live productive lives, but they’re also advocates for reversing the stigma of mental illness in our country. We are proud to provide a variety of mental health treatment services in South Jersey to give our patients the care and support they need and deserve.
Our diverse mental health treatments include:
- Clinical mental health therapies
- Psychiatric evaluations for treatment
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Telehealth treatment services
- Integrative wellness services
Don’t continue to let PTSD disrupt you or your loved one’s life. Call Harmony Bay Wellness today at 855.765.6399. We’re ready to help you discover a new beginning.