Recent statistics indicate that depression affects over 3 million American adults on an annual basis. An alarming number of these individuals may not get the depression treatment they deserve. Depression is one of the most prevalent types of psychiatric disorders. Clinical depression is different than temporary sadness as a result of a difficult life experience. It’s normal to experience sadness as a result of a loss, for example. Clinical depression goes much deeper than this. The affected individual will often endure more severe sadness that lasts for a longer period of time. Depression can even occur in the absence of a corresponding life event. Learn how our depression treatment center in South Jersey can help. Do you think you could be struggling from depression? Take our free online Depression Self-Assessment to find out.
Frequently Asked Questions About Depression
How Does A Person Develop Depression?
Depression can have many different root causes. The cause for depression can vary from person to person and may even be multiple things. It is often times hard for doctors to pick out a singular cause for depression. The human brain is so complex that there are still many things we do not understand. However, there are many theories on the root of depression including:
- Stressful life changes
- Traumatic events
- Grief over the loss of a loved one
- Hormonal imbalance
- Genetic or hereditary factors
It is important to know that each patient is different and there may be multiple causes for your depression. It takes time to figure out the root cause to properly treat it.
What Are The Common Symptoms Of Depression?
In order to get the proper depression treatment needed to overcome the condition, you’ll have to be able to recognize the signs of the problem. The following list covers a few common symptoms of depression.
- Social Isolation: Many people suffering from depression will draw away from loved ones. These individuals may also lose interest in their favorite activities.
- Feelings of Overwhelming Hopelessness: Those struggling with depression often feel extremely pessimistic or hopeless about their situation in life. These feelings often persist even once their situation improves.
- Severe Sleep Disturbances: People with depression may sleep too much or suffer from ongoing insomnia.
- Physical Ailments: Depression can result in digestive issues, headaches, muscle pains, and cramping that aren’t the result of a physical ailment.
If you or a loved one are experiencing any of these symptoms it is important to seek treatment. Harmony Bay Wellness can help you find the best treatment plan to end your depression.
What Does Depression Treatment Consist of?
Depression treatment is an essential part of overcoming this difficult condition. Many types of treatments exist. Often times, the most effective treatment plan may include a combination of multiple therapeutic approaches from the list below.
- Medication: There are many types of medications that can be useful in treating and managing the effects of depression. Medication-assisted treatment is often used in combination with other forms of therapy, such as counseling.
- Counseling: Both personal counseling and group therapy can be beneficial for those experiencing depression. Personal counseling allows the individual to develop a close relationship with his therapist. This relationship may allow him to open up about painful or private topics. Group therapy, on the other hand, provides exposure to peers who may be experiencing the same challenges.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy techniques can be very effective for those struggling to overcome depression. Cognitive behavioral therapy and related approaches can help a depressed individual identify and change negative thought and behavior patterns.
- Support System: Many professional treatment centers place a lot of focus on family and community involvement. This involvement allows a person experiencing depression to create a support system that facilitates healing and recovery. A support system like this provides ongoing assistance to those recovering from the harsh effects of depression.
In addition to counseling and medication, lifestyle changes may be necessary. In many cases, a professional treatment facility will also encourage a person facing depression to make significant changes to their lifestyle. Some examples include:
- Adequate sleep
- Stress management
- Healthy diet
What Are The Next Steps For Getting Help With Depression?
It can be very difficult to watch a loved one suffer from ongoing depression. In addition to guiding your loved one towards expert depression treatment, you can be a great help simply by lending a supportive shoulder and a listening ear. Remember that Harmony Bay Wellness behavioral health services exist to provide professional support in overcoming this condition.
Our diverse mental health therapy services include:
- Traditional psychiatric services
- Psychiatric evaluation and consultation
- Medication-assisted treatment programs
Don’t allow a mental health disorder to keep you from the life you deserve. We can help you overcome mental health conditions and find a new beginning. Contact Harmony Bay Wellness at 855.765.6399 to find out how we can help you regain control.