Computers, tablets, and mobile devices have rapidly increased access to the internet. Internet addiction is a behavioral addiction that is defined as spending large quantities of time on the internet, leading to impairments in functioning. It is most prevalent among male adolescents between the ages of 12-20 years old. Internet addiction may look like:
- Excessively playing Internet games
- Constantly checking social media accounts
- Compulsively shopping
- Internet gambling
- Spending hours watching videos on the Internet
Internet addiction, as with other addictions, consumes one’s time and efforts. Those struggling with internet addiction, on average, can devote 8-10 hours per day and at least 30 hours per week searching and scrolling on the internet. Internet use may take precedence over normal obligations such as eating, sleeping, work, school or socializing.
WHAT ARE COMMON SYMPTOMS OF INTERNET ADDICTION?
- Preoccupation with the internet
- Continued excessive use of the internet despite awareness of the problems it is causing
- Deceived family members, treatment providers or friends about the amount of time on the internet
- Use of internet to escape or relieve a negative mood (i.e. helplessness, guilt, shame, anxiety)
- Loss of interest in previous hobbies and entertainment as a result of internet addiction
- Has jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of internet addiction
WHAT’S INVOLVED IN TREATMENT FOR INTERNET ADDICTION.
You can treat internet addiction with group and individual therapy services. In addition, therapy providers will help identify thoughts, feelings and behaviors contributing to internet addiction and relapse prevention skills. Also, support groups, including Internet and Tech Addictions Anonymous (ITAA), can serve as additional form of support and accountability for those struggling with internet addiction.
WHAT ARE MY NEXT STEPS IN GETTING HELP FOR INTERNET ADDICTION?
When you’re looking for the best internet addiction treatment New Jersey provides, look no further than Harmony Bay Wellness. Our professionals are dedicated to not only helping all clients live productive lives, but they’re also advocates for reversing the stigma of mental illness in the country. We are proud to provide a variety of mental health treatment services in South Jersey to give our patients the care and support they need and deserve.
Our diverse mental health treatments include:
- Clinical mental health therapies
- Psychiatric treatment evaluations
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Telehealth treatment services
- Integrative wellness services
Don’t continue to let internet addiction disrupt you or your loved one’s life. Call Harmony Bay Wellness today at 855.765.6399. We look forward to helping you.