According to the American Psychiatric Association, personality is the way one thinks, feels and behaviors that makes a person different from others. An individual’s personality is influenced by many factors including temperament, childhood experiences, environment, and inherited characteristics. Doctor characterize Personality Disorders as a group of mental illnesses with rigid and unhealthy ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving that causes impairments in functioning and lasts over time. Personality disorders can range from mild to severe.
What Are Common Symptoms of Personality Disorders?
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fifth Edition (DSM-5), There are three categories or clusters of personality disorders based on common symptoms.
Cluster A Personality Disorders are characterized by eccentric and unusual thinking and behaviors. The Cluster A Personality Disorders include
- Paranoid Personality Disorder: Pattern of distrust and suspiciousness of others and perceives that others are deceiving them.
- Schizoid Personality Disorder: Detachment from relationships, restricted range of emotional expression and prefers solitary activities.
- Schizotypal Personality Disorder: Eccentric behaviors, excessive social anxiety, superstitious and cognitive distortions.
Doctors characterize Cluster B Personality Disorders by heightened emotions and difficulties with impulse control. The Cluster B Personality Disorders include:
- Antisocial Personality Disorder: Disregard for and violation of the rights of others, refuse to conform to social norms, and lack remorse.
- Borderline Personality Disorder: Lack of a sense of identity, impulsive, unstable relationships, and difficulties regulating emotions.
- Histrionic Personality Disorder: Attention-seeking behaviors, a heightened sense of dramatization, excessive need for approval and seductive behaviors.
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder: Exaggerated sense of self, grandiose, preoccupied with image, power, and success.
Cluster C Personality Disorders are characterized by pervasive fear and anxiety. The Cluster C Personality Disorders include:
- Avoidant Personality Disorder: Fear of rejection from others, hypersensitive to negative evaluation, feelings of inadequacy and heightened social inhibition.
- Dependent Personality Disorder: Excessive eagerness to be taken care of and supported, fear of separation and clinging behavior.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder: Preoccupation with orderliness, cleanliness, control, and perfectionism.
If you or your loved one is struggling with any of these symptoms, it is time to consider treatment. Harmony Bay has staff experienced and eager to help those struggling with personality disorders.
What’s Happens During Personality Disorder Treatment?
Doctors treat Personality Disorders with group and individual therapy services. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is one treatment regimen we utilize due to its effectiveness in treating Personality Disorders. DBT will assist in regulating emotions, tolerating distress, being mindful of the present and having healthy relationships. Medication regimens may treat the symptoms of personality disorders such as impulsivity, irritability or anxiety.
What Are My Next Steps in Getting Help for Personality Disorders?
When you’re looking for the best treatment for Personality Disorders in New Jersey, look no further than Harmony Bay Wellness. Our professionals dedicate themselves to not helping all clients live productive lives. They’re also advocates for reversing the stigma of mental illness in the country. We are proud to provide a variety of mental health treatment services in South Jersey to give our patients the care and support they need and deserve.
Our diverse mental health treatments include:
- Clinical mental health therapies
- Psychiatric evaluations
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Telehealth services
- Integrative wellness services
Don’t continue to let Personality Disorders disrupt you or your loved one’s life. Call Harmony Bay Wellness today at 855.765.6399. We look forward to helping you.