Prescription drugs are medications prescribed by a medical doctor to alleviate unwanted symptoms. Within recent years, prescription drugs have begun to be more widely prescribed and abused. In addition, prescription drug abuse can include taking more medication(s) than prescribed, taking multiple different medication(s) or mixing prescription drugs with other substances which can increase the effects of the medication. The most common prescription drugs abused are the following:
- Opioids which are used to treat and alleviate pain
- Stimulants which are often prescribed to treat attention and hyperactivity difficulties
- Depressants which are used to treat anxiety and sleep problems
WHAT ARE COMMON SYMPTOMS OF PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE?
Signs of prescription drug abuse can include:
- Slurred speech: Speech may be slow or difficult to understand, due to the brain and body communication being slowed down.
- Lack of coordination: This may look like stumbling or difficulty in performing routine tasks.
- Impaired memory: Difficulty remembering events, names, or words for a period of time.
In addition, prescription drug addiction can impact various areas of life including quality of relationships, ability to focus in school and go to work, and ability to have a meaningful and happy life. Also, prescription drug abuse, if untreated, can be life threatening.
WHAT’S INVOLVED IN PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE THERAPY?
Prescription drug abuse, as with other addictions, can be treated with group and individual therapy services. Harmony Bay Wellness offers outpatient group and individual therapy. These therapies will help clients develop insight into the causes of their drug abuse and the negative impact it is having on their life. In addition, therapy services also prioritizes identifying ways to self-soothe, alleviate discomfort and maintain their recovery without the prescription drug(s).
WHAT ARE MY NEXT STEPS IN GETTING HELP FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE?
When you’re looking for the best prescription drug abuse treatment New Jersey provides, look no further than Harmony Bay Wellness. Our professionals are dedicated to not only helping all clients live productive lives, but they’re also advocates for reversing the stigma of mental illness in the country. In addition, we are proud to provide a variety of mental health treatment services in South Jersey to give our patients the care and support they need and deserve.
Our diverse mental health treatments include:
- Clinical mental health therapies
- Psychiatric treatment evaluations
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Telehealth treatment services
- Integrative wellness services
Don’t continue to let prescription drug abuse disrupt you or your loved one’s life. Call Harmony Bay Wellness today at 855.765.6399. We look forward to helping you.