Self-harm, often referred to as self-injurious behavior (SIB) or non-suicidal self-injurious behavior (NSSIB), is an unhealthy coping mechanism most commonly used by teens as well as young adults. In fact, Harmony Bay‘s Self-Harm Therapy explores the many reasons for self-harm actions including the following:
- Self-punishment: Self-harm can often be used as a self-punishment regimen. Some may engage in self-harm to reprimand themselves for any wrongdoings.
- Increase sensations when feeling numb: It is not uncommon to struggle with a lack of emotions, feeling numb or disconnected from one’s self. Self-harm may be used to feel and reconnect with one’s self and increase sensations.
- Regulate emotions: The brain has a difficult time experiencing physical and emotional pain simultaneously. Self-harm may serve as a distraction technique to regulate difficult emotions.
- Tolerate distress: Self-harm can provide a soothing and calming effect for many. Self-harm may help to tolerate feeling overwhelmed or stressed.
- Communicating feelings to others: Self-harm may also serve as a ‘cry for help’. Some may engage in self-harm to gain attention from their caregivers or loved ones and express their feelings.
What are the Symptoms of Self-Harm?
In fact, self-harm can present in many ways:
- Picking at skin
- Pulling out hair
- Burning skin
- Scratching skin
- Scrapping skin
- Cutting skin
It is common for those engaging in self-harm to also struggle with mental health difficulties including depression, anxiety, trauma, and addiction. Self-harm can also lead to long-lasting damaging effects, including medical concerns.
What to Expect From Self-Harm Therapy
Treatment for those struggling with self-harm can include group and individual therapy services. Therapy services will assist in gaining skills to reduce the use of self-harm as a means of coping. Group and individual therapy will also help patients learn effective skills to cope with distress and tools to regulate emotions include anger, sadness or anxiety. Our mental health professionals combine compassion with evidence-based mental health therapies to promote lasting healing.
Getting Help Through Self-Harm Therapy
When you’re looking for the best treatment for self-harm New Jersey provides, look no further than Harmony Bay Wellness. Our professionals strive to not only help all patients live productive lives, but they also advocate for reversing the stigma of mental illness in the country. We are proud to provide a variety of mental health treatment services in South Jersey to give our patients the care and support they need and deserve.
For example, our diverse mental health treatments include:
- Clinical mental health therapies
- Psychiatric evaluations
- Intensive outpatient programs
- Telehealth services
- Integrative wellness services
Don’t continue to let self-harm disrupt you or your loved one’s life. Call Harmony Bay Wellness today at 855.765.6399. We look forward to helping you.