It may feel like the COVID-19 pandemic has brought your life to a screeching halt. After the government set social distancing measures and closed businesses and schools, it seemed like everything was canceled. Students received cancellation notices of their college and high school graduations. High School prom is no longer taking place. Sporting events stopped. People called off their vacations. Couples are postponing their wedding plans. Most of these events were scheduled months in advance, and people have been eagerly waiting for them. Thus, coping with disappointment from these major life events being canceled is no small thing.
In a way, these cancelations are good. They are helping to slow the spread of the virus. Social distancing measures are also helping to keep the hospitals from being overrun. With the shortage of hospital supplies such as ventilators, fewer people may need them if they stay home. Just because everything is closed and canceled to keep us safe, does not mean you should not allow yourself or others to morn missed life events. We all are deeply feeling these disappointments and need to find the proper way to process them. Fortunately, Harmony Bay Wellness can help.
Steps To Take In Coping With Disappointment
There are several things you can do to help you and others coping with disappointment springing from the cancelation of weddings, trips, graduation, etc. For instance, the following are simple but effective:
- Journal- This involves the practice of keeping a journal with your thoughts and feelings in it. It is an effective way to reduce stress. Take no more than 10-15 minutes every morning to write down what you may be experiencing during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Maintain a Routine- It is important to keep your daily routine as normal as possible, even if you are working from home. Find activities that you enjoy. This will help you keep your mind off things. Get enough sleep to help reduce added stress or strain on your body.
- Seek Support- Reach out to your loved ones during this time by phone, video chat, and text. Let them know you are struggling with disappointment due to canceled events. Friends and family are probably sharing the same struggles and may be able to offer advice and support. You may also benefit from speaking with a licensed therapist. They can guide you in finding coping skills that work best for you.
- Notice Negative Self-Talk- Do not tell yourself you have no right to feel upset. Allow yourself to grieve over missing these major life events.
- Remind Yourself that this is not permanent- Although you may feel like the world stopped, remember that this will pass. Everything will open back up.
Ways You Can Celebrate Life
Coping with disappointment can be tricky. However, it’s important to remember to highlight the good things going on around you and celebrate life during this time. For example, you can:
- Create a list of rescheduled events.
- Write out a gratitude list of all the good things going on in your life.
- Use technology to “celebrate.” If you are missing a loved one’s birthday or another life event, consider using video chat to connect with them.
- Find a hobby you can do at home. Quarantine has given us extra time at home to learn something new. Try cooking, participating in at-home workouts, or learn to play that instrument that you never picked up.
Harmony Bay Wellness
If you or a loved one is experiencing excessive anxiety, worry, or sadness, please reach out to Harmony Bay Wellness at 855.765.6399. Our licensed therapists are happy to help guide you through this difficult time. We offer in-person and telehealth therapy services to New Jersey residents.