Maybe you just got married a little over six months ago, or maybe you’ve been married for over 20 years. For a while, you seemed to have your perfect fairy tale ending. However, that quickly gave way to bickering and, sometimes, straight-up fighting. Often times, this can call into question whether or not this marriage was the right decision. But, before taking drastic measures and ending a relationship, you may want to consider marriage counseling or couples therapy. If you’re looking for a marriage counselor near Voorhees, NJ, Harmony Bay can help.
Your situation is not uncommon. While the vast majority of people in western culture marry before age 50, more than 40% of American married couples seek a divorce after several years, sometimes even sooner. Fortunately, there is hope. At Harmony Bay, we offer family and marriage counseling. Our goal is to help you and your spouse resolve your differences. Ideally, after undergoing couples therapy, you can rebuild your marriage, making it stronger than before.
DO WE NEED MARRIAGE COUNSELING? WHAT THE STATISTICS SAY
Divorce and marital problems are a common part of family life. These problems affect couples across all races, sexualities, and ages. That said, there are some factors that increase the likelihood of divorce. Questions you may want to ask yourself can include:
- Did you and your spouse marry at an early age?
- Have you or your spouse been unfaithful?
- Do you or your spouse get defensive?
- Is your spouse or yourself suffering from substance abuse disorder?
- Is the relationship abusive?
- Did you and your spouse graduate from high school?
- Is there healthy communication in the relationship?
- Are you in a lower income bracket?
- Do you and your spouse feel anger or contempt for each other?
- Do you and your spouse have different religions?
- Are your parents or your spouse’s parents divorced?
- Do you or your spouse tend to withdraw from each other when you’re stressed?
- Do you often criticize your spouse, or does your spouse often criticize you?
Even if the situation seems insurmountable, there is hope. With time, work, and counseling, you can keep your marriage intact.
WHY SHOULD WE LOOK INTO MARRIAGE COUNSELING?
If there is a great deal of conflict in your marriage, it can be tempting to give up. However, marriage counseling can be useful, and your relationship will get stronger. There are many benefits to marriage counseling, and you should consider them when you’re asking, “Do we need marriage counseling?”
- You can work at healing old wounds, instead of letting them fester.
- You grow closer to your partner and feel like a team again
- Rebuild the lines of communication and feel like your partner hears your voice
- Grow your conflict resolution skills. This results in learning to resolve conflicts as they happen
- Enjoy interacting with your spouse again
- Learn how to deal with unpleasant emotions
At Harmony Bay, we recognize that every relationship is unique, and we will work with you and your partner to identify the root causes of the problems that you’re experiencing. With time and effort on your end and ours, we can work together to determine better coping mechanisms for relationship stress, and help make your marriage stronger.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU’RE ASKING, “DO WE NEED MARRIAGE COUNSELING?”
When you are asking yourself, “Do we need marriage counseling?” one of your first steps could be to call Harmony Bay. Our programs near Voorhees, NJ, and across greater South Jersey, we can help you overcome many unpleasant scenarios. You can also get therapy for a variety of problems, including:
Your marriage isn’t supposed to be a fight. However, it is supposed to be worth fighting for, for both you and your spouse. To learn more about marriage counseling at Harmony Bay, contact us today at 855.765.6399.
Last Updated on July 2, 2020