Because it’s so common and legal, many don’t see drinking as an issue. Alcohol seems like a “safe” substance, but there are numerous risks of alcohol abuse. Knowing where that line is, between safe use and abuse is very difficult. It changes from one person to the next. If you believe you’re facing alcohol addiction or that a loved one is, it’s essential to get treatment. At Harmony Bay Wellness, we offer the help you need to achieve these goals. We understand alcohol abuse can grow slowly but once someone is dependent, then they need professional help to heal.
What Are the Risks of Alcohol Abuse?
Alcohol abuse carries various mental health and physical risks. Many men and women need to find support and guidance for what they’re facing. Take a look at what can happen if you abuse alcohol.
Short term health risks of alcohol abuse include:
- Reckless behavior resulting in vehicle accidents or accidental drownings
- Reckless sexual behavior resulting in unintended pregnancy or sexually transmitted disease
- Violent behavior, including a higher risk for suicide, hurting others, or intimate partner violence
- For pregnant women, alcohol abuse can lead to stillbirth, miscarriage, or fetal alcohol spectrum disorders
- Alcohol poisoning, a medical emergency that can be life-threatening
Long term health risks of alcohol abuse, including consistent use of alcohol even in smaller amounts, include:
- Increased risk of high blood pressure, liver disease, digestive problems, and heart disease
- Potential for learning and memory problems, increased risk of dementia
- Mental health problems including depression
- Relationship problems including family and friends, problems at work, and problems at school
- Cancer of the throat, mouth, liver, and colon
By far, the most impactful of the risks of alcohol abuse is alcohol addiction. If you’re struggling with alcohol addiction, this can mean your health is at risk. Overdose can occur at any time, even if you are just drinking inconsistently.
When these risks happen to you depends on many factors. This includes how much you are drinking, your tolerance, genetic factors, and underlying health conditions. The good news is that for every person, there is a way to prevent each of these risks.
Reach out to Harmony Bay Wellness for help with alcohol addiction.
Find Help for Alcohol Addiction
Knowing the risks of alcohol abuse is just the first step. It’s always beneficial to seek out help – you can avoid most of these risks by getting help. Our team can help you with a wide range of treatment programs. We offer an alcohol addiction treatment program to help you to stop drinking.
However, many people use alcohol as a coping mechanism. If you are struggling with co-occurring disorders, you also need help. We have specialized programs for post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder treatment, and depression addiction treatment. By enrolling in these programs, you can find a real opportunity to see improvement in your health.
Alcohol addiction is a very serious condition, but one you can find help for right here at Harmony Bay Wellness.
Find the Treatment You Need at Harmony Bay Wellness
Once you understand the risks of alcohol abuse, you can seek out the right type and level of care for your individual needs. Not only do we offer a wide range of treatment programs but also we have numerous therapeutic services. Because each individual’s relationship with alcohol addiction is unique, Harmony Bay Wellness offers therapies to meet the needs of each client. By doing so, we increase the likelihood our clients achieve lasting recovery. Exciting opportunities exist at Harmony Bay Wellness. We’re ready to help you take back your life and health. Schedule a consultation by calling 855.765.6399 today.