Have you thought about trying out telehealth therapy services? The popularity of telehealth is rising in all areas of medicine. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), telehealth, also known as online therapy, is a health care service that uses telecommunications and virtual technology to deliver health care outside of traditional health care facilities. This includes video conferencing, the internet, streaming media, and wireless communications.
Telehealth is an effective way to deliver mental health treatment, adjust medications, and conduct therapy. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, one in every five adults is diagnosed with a mental health disorder every year. Through a HIPPA-compliant, video chat platform, therapists can treat anxiety, depression, addiction, and mood disorders as well as conduct family and couples counseling.
What are the Benefits of Telehealth Therapy?
- Convenience: Telehealth services are available from your home, office, and while traveling. This provides a new level of flexibility to patients who are unable to make it to an in-person visit or simply don’t have the time or means to commute. Patients can use their phone, tablet, or computer to connect with a therapist via video conference.
- Accessibility: Telehealth services can make mental health therapy appointments more accessible. Patients may become more likely to seek therapy services if they don’t have to leave their homes. Those who have limited mobility or live in more rural areas where access to mental health clinics is difficult to come by, now have easier, improved access through telehealth. In contrast, they may not have had access to these services otherwise. Telehealth also allows for extended hours, which makes mental healthcare more accessible for those who can’t take time off work for an appointment. Harmony Bay does offer evening and weekend appointments to accommodate a variety of work and school schedules.
- Comfort: Patients can remain in their homes throughout their therapy sessions. But, if a patient feels more comfortable speaking to someone from their own couch or office, telehealth makes that possible. Additionally, social stigmas surrounding mental health that patients may face can be avoided.
To participate in online mental healthcare, the following is needed:
- Phone, tablet, or computer with a speaker, microphone, and camera
- External Camera: If your computer does not have an internal camera, an external camera can be used.
- Headphones with microphone: Headphones are optional. But they are beneficial for those who want more privacy.
- Internet connection: You connect with your therapist through video chat. Thus, your phone, tablet, or computer must connect to the internet.
Is Telehealth Therapy the Right Option for Me?
Studies have shown that there are many positive benefits to online therapy. Also, these benefits are not restricted to patients only, but they can help providers as well. Patients can receive the same clinically effective treatment via telehealth, as they would in an in-person office setting.
If you are wondering if telehealth is the right option for you, contact Harmony Bay Wellness today at 855.765.6399. We are here to help answer any questions you may have about our telehealth therapy services.