According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), stress can be defined as the body and brain’s natural response to demand, adjustment, or change. Everyone experiences stress and over 75% of those in the United States report experiencing stress daily. Research shows that the three most common factors leading to increased stress are finances, work, and health concerns (physical or mental health). Stress can cause physical changes including increased pulse, heart rate, sweating and/or muscle tension. Stress can also cause mental/emotional changes including heightened anxiety, racing thoughts, crying spells and/or panic attacks. Utilizing stress reduction techniques lessen the negative effects of stress.
Stress itself is not always harmful or bad. Stress can increase motivation to prepare or perform, such as students experiencing stress before an exam or an applicant having stress before an interview. Stress can aid in protection and safety, such as experiencing stress in a dangerous situation. Stress can become problematic when it impairs abilities to function or live a happy and healthy life.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF STRESS REDUCTION TECHNIQUES?
Stress reduction techniques are important to alleviate any physical or mental effects. Stress reduction techniques can provide many benefits including:
- Physical: Decreased muscle tightness, strain, tension, and aches. Healthier heart rate and pulse and regulated body temperature.
- Mental: Decreased anxiety, panic, and stress. Increased focus, concentration, and energy. Decreased irritability, frustration, and anger.
- Stress reduction techniques may provide additional benefits including increased confidence and self-esteem.
Learn more about how mental health treatment services in NJ can improve your life.
HOW IS STRESS REDUCTION INCORPORATED AT HARMONY BAY WELLNESS?
Our clinicians at Harmony Bay Wellness are trained in a variety of stress reduction techniques, which they, in turn, teach our patients. Stress reduction techniques may require practice to increase comfortability and effectiveness. Stress reduction techniques can include:
- Exercise: Engaging in exercise such as yoga, running or going to the gym.
- Writing: Journaling and creative writing about your thoughts and feelings.
- Self-care: Practicing self-care and taking care of yourself is vital. Engaging in self-care practices such as taking a hot bath or getting a massage can alleviate tension and anxiety.
- Meditation: Meditative practices such as mindfulness and guided imagery/visualization can relieve anxiety, relax the mind, and bring focus to the present rather than focusing on the past or future.
- Breathing: Breathing exercises such as deep breathing, paced breathing or squared breathing can aid in regulating the nervous system and calming the body.
WHAT OTHER THERAPEUTIC SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE AT HARMONY BAY WELLNESS?
Located in South Jersey, Harmony Bay Wellness offers individualized treatment that brings you back to your inner spirit, a healthier mindset, and physical wellness. Along with stress reduction techniques, we also offer:
- NJ telehealth services
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Psychiatric evaluations in South Jersey
- Mental health therapy services for various conditions