You got married just over six months ago. At first, you seemed to have your perfect fairy tale ending. However, that quickly gave way to bickering and, sometimes, straight-up fighting. You wonder, “Is this normal? Do we need marriage counseling?”
Your situation is not uncommon. While the vast majority of people in western culture marry before age 50, more than 40% of American married couples divorce each other. Fortunately, there is hope. At Harmony Bay, we offer family and marriage counseling. Our goal is to help you and your spouse resolve your differences. Then, ideally, you can rebuild your marriage, making it stronger than before.
Do We Need Marriage Counseling? What the Statistics Say
Divorce and marital problems are a common part of family life. Both of these affect couples across all races, sexualities, and ages. That said, there are some factors that increase the likelihood of divorce. These can include:
- Did you and your spouse marry at an early age?
- Have you or your spouse been unfaithful?
- Do you or your spouse get defensive?
- Is your spouse or yourself suffering from substance abuse disorder?
- Is the relationship abusive?
- Did you and your spouse graduate from high school?
- Is there healthy communication in the relationship?
- Are you in a lower income bracket?
- Do you and your spouse feel anger or contempt for each other?
- Do you and your spouse have different religions?
- Are your parents or your spouse’s parents divorced?
- Do you or your spouse tend to withdraw from each other when you’re stressed?
- Do you often criticize your spouse, or does your spouse often criticize you?
That said, there is hope. With time, work, and counseling, you can keep your marriage intact.
Why Should We Look Into Marriage Counseling?
If there is a great deal of conflict in your marriage, it can be tempting to give up. However, marriage counseling can be useful, and your relationship will get stronger. There are many benefits to marriage counseling, and you should consider them when you’re asking, “Do we need marriage counseling?”
- You can work at healing old wounds, instead of letting them fester.
- You grow closer to your partner and feel like a team again
- Rebuild the lines of communication and feel like your partner hears your voice
- Grow your conflict resolution skills. This results in learning to resolve conflicts as they happen
- Enjoy interacting with your spouse again
- Learn how to deal with unpleasant emotions
What to Do When You’re Asking, “Do We Need Marriage Counseling?”
When you are asking yourself, “Do we need marriage counseling?” one of your first steps could be to call Harmony Bay. At Harmony Bay, we can help you overcome many unpleasant scenarios. You can also get therapy for a variety of problems, including:
Your marriage isn’t supposed to be a fight. However, it is supposed to be worth fighting for, for both you and your spouse. To learn more about marriage counseling at Harmony Bay, contact us today at 855.765.6399.